As the services offered by Educate Together continue to grow, they recognised the need to upgrade their website to reflect their widening remit and to take advantage of progressing website technology. They had outgrown their existing Content Management System and were experiencing speed and performance issues. They wanted the new platform to enable greater collaboration within the Educate Together School Network and specifically between Educate Together Schools, school-goers, parents and the National Patron Office.
They needed a site that could facilitate the following:
- A scalable and sophisticated content publishing framework
- Web Document Management
- School, Start Up and RDO Directories
- Architecture to facilitate the development of new school websites through the National Office
- Conferences and Events Booking and Management
- A robust performance management solution
What We Did
The first step for the project involved meeting the Educate Together team to discuss their requirements and to get a content structure and design brief. This structure and design brief reflected the following imperatives;
- Migration of some existing content and structures from the existing website to the new site
- A top level navigation that groups site visitors easily and enables information to be easily findable
- Organised content blocks that enabled related content to be displayed on a given page
- Content structure reflected the need for user call-to-actions such as ‘get involved’, ‘register’ or ‘support’
- Deliver consistency in the overall ‘look and feel’ through standard website structures and templates
- Ensure the website design reflects the broadened scope of the Educate Together patron body
- Ensure key highlights and top stories or initiatives are given strong prominence on the homepage real estate
The new Educate Together site allows full content control and easy content updating. The site maintains a large database of information. The new site includes the following features:
- Summary/promotion blocks for key content areas. The admin can easily toggle any combination/order of these blocks on relevant pages on the main or sub sites.
- Dynamic Call for Action links were implemented so that an editor could add them to any page/site and customise their links/title text etc.
- Administrators can control who has access to edit content based on the structure of the organisation, not the structure of the website.
- Event, Conference and Course Registration and Booking and Online Donations
- School, Startup Group and Regional Development Officer Network Directory
Further phases for the website include a Webshop, Members Area which includes teachers, boards of management, parents, students and start-up groups and an Office Intranet all running on Drupal
If you would like to learn more about Educate Together please visit their site
Get in Touch
Do you need help with your website or e-commerce store? Get in touch – we’d love to help. Call us on +353 (0)1 4750066, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at our offices in Dublin and London
Educate Together is the patron body to Ireland’s 60 multi-denominational primary schools and was established over 34 years ago. It is an independent NGO that aims to educate all children regardless of religious, cultural or social upbringing. The organisation has recently been granted patronage to schools at second level.